Wednesday, July 9, 2014

TWIX Cupcakes

A friend of mine asked me last week if I had ever made TWIX cupcakes or if I thought it could be done. Of course it can be done! It just was going to take some experimenting and trial and error. I don't use cake mixes often, but when I do I tend to doctor them up.

What's really helpful is the new unwrapped bite sized TWIX. It made for a nice little topper for these cupcakes.

Since there is a cookie on the bottom of this cupcake, yes I said cookie on the bottom, I like to use a heavy weight foil liner, not the thin ones in the regular grocery store. The gold ones I used on these are the Wilton ones, but even those were a little thin for my liking. The red ones that I used are thicker, more like the ones found here.



For the cupcakes

Makes 36 Cupcakes
1 Devils Food Cake Mix
1 5.1oz Box Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
4 Eggs
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 1/4 Cup Fresh Brewed Coffee
1 TBSP Vanilla
36 Shortbread Cookies 
(I used the Keebler, Simply Shortbread Cookies and had to trim them down to get them to fit into the bottom of the cupcake liner)
Preheat oven to 350
Line your cupcake trays with cupcake lines, put a cookie in the bottom of each of the cupcake liners. 

Mix the remaining ingredients together until thoroughly combined. Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 20 Minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely before decorating. 

For the Chocolate Buttercream
I always only use C&H Sugar and Land o'Lakes Unsalted Butter
4 Sticks Softened Butter
8 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
2 TBSP Vanilla
1-2 TBSP Milk
3/8 Cup Hershey's Cocoa

Cream the butter. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Add the vanilla and salt and mix. Add the Cocoa and mix. Add milk as needed to get to a consistency that can be piped onto the cupcakes.

For the Topping
1 Package of TWIX Bites
Your favorite Caramel Ice Cream Topping (I used Mrs Richardson's)

Decorate the cupcakes with the chocolate buttercream. I used my Wilton's 2D piping tip. Drizzle the caramel on top of the frosting. Top with a TWIX candy bar.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment